10 September 2008

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom...

The time has come... The time is now. Marvin K. Mooney, will you please go now???!!!

Not really. But every time I hear the phrase: "The time has come, the time is now..." I think of that Dr. Suess book with Marvin K. Mooney in it. And I wonder - has he gone yet? Better yet, where is he supposed to go?

Of all the things to wonder at, I wonder at the marvelous nature of babies. The miracle that they are. I am always amazed at the little things that they do - from the first time they smile at you to the first words that they choose. A good friend of mine from college used to say frequently:
"A child's face can say a lot... especially the mouth part!"
I'm inclined to agree. This afternoon, D.F., our youngest, opened his mouth and laughed for the first time. It was such a marvelous little noise! I've been trying all day to get him to repeat it with no success. I'll keep trying. I find that there are few things greater in life than the true love of a child. D.D. has been trying to get me to play with her on a more regular basis. I am almost ashamed to admit that I have forgotten how to play. She is teaching me how to be a child again. And me at almost 34 years old.

Two of my favorite phrases are. "Mommy, will you pin with me?" (substitute the word spin for the word pin, and you'll understand my reluctance - I know that my equilibrium is incredibly off since having two babies, I'm not sure I want to find out what the third has done for it!) My second favorite is having her hold her arms out to me and asking me, "Mommy, will you dance with me?" What mother can resist a dance with a two year old? Especially when said two year old is wearing said mother's highest pair of heels so that she can be just like mom? I certainly can't. I can, however, refuse to "pin". I just don't like the feeling of having the room spin around me...

So my advice today - it's free. You don't have to pay for it - or even take it, for that matter... it's simply this. Enjoy your children. Take time to "pin" or dance with them. LOVE them. Because soon enough they don't want to "pin" or dance or even talk to you. Sometimes they don't even want you to love them. Do it anyway. Your children depend on it.

No comments: