16 February 2009

Busy...

"If you want something done, ask a busy person."

Someone told me that I should record my schedule from the past few weeks - because no one would believe that I could do it. After much thought and retrospect, I've decided to do just that. Because I don't believe that I have survived so well...

Two weeks ago (February 1, 2009), I started working long hours at the Portland Oregon Temple. At the same time, Mr. Snicklebutt started working LONGER hours - also at the Portland Oregon Temple... and times that were NOT the same as mine. He works from 7 am - 5:30 pm. I work from 8 pm - 4:30 am. This means that he leaves our house at 6 am, and I leave the house at 7 pm. In effect, we have 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening with each other. Some may find this wonderful - I find it stinky. I like being able to spend a few minutes (or hours) with my spouse discussing the day and what went well and what didn't and how the children were and why I'm so dang exhausted. We haven't had that time. In a few minutes, I'll explain what this has done for our relationship.

My day begins at 7:30 in the am. And yes, for those of you who are friends with Math, this means that I am getting to bed somewhere around 5:30 am and getting up two hours later. This is not always a pretty sight as one 7-year old can attest. Thankfully, (or should I say, MERCIFULLY) I am able to go back to sleep sometime around 8:30 am. This too is very short lived, as I am more than likely awake again around 11 am. Unfortunately, this is when the day really begins. I do laundry, dishes and play with children. Then, if I'm lucky, they take naps, and so do I. Nap time is ALWAYS over at 2 pm when aforementioned 7-year old is finished with school. Then it's home to help with homework (or the quick trip to the grocery store), and clean the house and then make dinner and maybe get in the shower to prepare for work... then off to work as soon as Mr. Snicklebutt gets home and feeds the animals and we bring wood into the house. Sometimes I make cookies and occasionally I make bread during my few waking hours as well.

Don't add the hours of sleep, you'll get tired too.

How has this affected my relationship with Mr. Snicklebutt? Strangely, it's brought us closer together. We are realizing how important it is for us to spend time daily with each other. We are also realizing how important it is for us to communicate clearly - and the importance of treating each other as if we are the most important part of each other's lives. As I leave a note for Mr. Snicklebutt in his work bucket nightly, I'm finding little ways to tell him that I love him. And I'm finding those notes in his pockets when I do the laundry. This says a lot to me. It tells me that he's paying attention to those notes (except the one that he threw away thinking that someone was just putting garbage in his bucket...); and it tells me that he finds me important enough to want to pay attention to those little notes.

I am eternally grateful that this work is rapidly coming to an end. I'm tired. No, I'm exhausted. On the other hand, I don't want this closeness to end. I don't want these last few weeks of becoming close and paying attention to the little things to come to an end. And as I type this, I realize that it doesn't have to. It is, however, one more thing that I'll find myself doing... and it's all worth it in the end.

No comments: